- Isolation is a big issue in year one for the new teacher. Hold on to the community of people that you trained with and don’t let them go. Post blogs, start a FaceBook page, make cell phone calls, whatever works best. Make intentional efforts to stay connected.
- Classroom Management can also be a major concern. Remember, sometimes it is not the children that need the fix, but the teacher. Have someone come in and observe your classes to provide open, honest and direct feedback.
- Be sure to be student focused. The child should be first.
- Find out what you don’t know and go learn more; be a lifelong learner.
- Remember who you were at your student’s ages.
- A lot can be learned by trial and error.
- Mentoring is extremely important. Accept help that is provided.
- Pride should not get in the way. Be willing and comfortable to ask questions. Asking for help is not a sign of weakness.
- Focus energy on making a difference where you can.
- Be sure there is a mechanism in place to help you examine, reflect, and grow in your teaching practices that is completely separate from a formal evaluation.
With Kindermusik, we support new educators every step of the way. The experience begins with a comprehensive training program, including four practice teaching classes to gain comfort and experience before the course is even completed. During the online experience, she will learn the philosophy, pedagogy, curriculum and business aspects of establishing and running a successful Kindermusik program. The learning group consists of 15 to 20 other potential teachers from all over the world and is facilitated by a mentor who has successfully run a Kindermusik program for many years. This environment provides both peer-to-peer and mentor-to-peer learning. In fact, the mentor will partner with her as a business coach through the first teaching semester providing success steps throughout. We have an extensive library of pre-recorded webinars that will provide on-going professional development from both the masterful teaching perspective and to help build a successful program. In addition, we make marketing and enrollment easy with tools through our class scheduler and online enrollment system.
The first 3 years don't have to be difficult at all. Start today on your journey to complete your life's best work with Kindermusik.
Posted by: Terry P. Kilgo, Recruiting Manager